The Wigtownshire Chamber of Commerce is an Independent Chamber, based in Galloway, working for Galloway.
Our members come from a broad range of businesses across Galloway; furniture, accommodation, low energy renewables, IT, satellite provision, food and drink, retail, tourism…..whatever line of work you are in, you are welcome.
Download Our Application Form Here – Membership is open to any business based in – or working in – Galloway. Membership Application 2015 (pdf format, opens new window – PLEASE PRINT AND COMPLETE then return to address on application form.)
• Through our seat on the D&G Events Partnership, we were able to recommend how the £250,000 events budget is allocated, for example; £37,000 of funding be provided to the Wigtown Book Festival for the 2014 Festival. Budget for 2015 has now been approved and this event will be supported again.
• We also used that same seat to recommend funding for the Wickerman Festival, The GWF Merrick Rally and the Big Burns Supper – all of which bring visitors and over £2m worth of income into our area a year! ~ Not bad for a small independent Chamber of Commerce!
• We have a seat on the DG Renewables Partnership, working to create tangible local employment and economic benefits for local communities from windfarms. Our Chamber is the only business organisation, from the West, representing the West, on that board. ~ Not bad for a small independent Chamber of Commerce!
• We hosted a visit to the area (August 20140 from the Taipei Consulate, who are actively seeking economic partnerships with Scotland. The Chamber was able to outline local potentials in renewables, food & drink, tourism and education. We have also been asked to examine joint co-operation on projects involving food & drink, energy, education and inbound-tourism here from the Far East. ~ Not bad for a small independent Chamber of Commerce!
• We have a Trustee’s seat on the Machars Action Group, assisting MAG to initiate local projects for local people. We have a Director on the board of the Ayr – Stranraer Community Rail Partnership – Scotland’s first such organisation. This gives us a new input into the timetables, fares and station longevity, keeping the rail link north open. ~ Not bad for a small independent Chamber of Commerce!
• We support the twinning of Newton Stewart with Marcoussis (France) as a means to boost tourism and growth here in Galloway. We will be sending at least one representative over to meet with businesses in Marcoussis and discuss new markets for local providers and producers. ~ Not bad for a small independent Chamber of Commerce!
• We also represent on the D&G Marketing Group, to ensure that Galloway gets its fair share of tourism promotion and spend. ~ Not bad for a small independent Chamber of Commerce!
Membership is open to any business based in – or working in – Galloway. Applications from retired business folk always welcome, you have valuable life experience and skills we could find an opening for!